In a Station of the Metro
The apparition of these faces in the crowd;
Petals on a wet, black bough.
Are you alive?
I touch you.
You quiver like a sea-fish.
I cover you with my net.
What are you—banded one?
Winter is here, with holidays and frozen toes, with endings and beginnings.
The days are short. The nights are long. The air is cold. Good time to light a candle.
Here are are some poems, offered for your winter enjoyment by The Academy of American Poets.
- "Those Winter Sundays" by Robert Hayden
- "Fishing in Winter" by Ralph Burns
- "splitting firewood on a winter afternoon" by Ben Shane
- "Winter: My Secret" by Christina Rossetti
- "Cut Off the Ears of Winter" by Peter Covino
- "A Winter Blue Jay" by Sara Teasdale
- "The Snow Man" by Wallace Stevens
- "Winter Poem" by Robert Bly (video)
- "Winter Field" by Joanna Klink (audio)
- "Lines for Winter" by Mark Strand (audio)
Scroll down and read about the poet. Be sure to check the "Related Poems" links on each page.
And check out the following topics:
Write a poem of 4 to 9 lines containing the words "mustard," "piano," "elastic," "moat," "notorious."
Or, if you prefer, use the words "dimple," "horseradish," "wipeout," "organic," "cell."Read more ...
-- the no praise/no blame method
As a reader, you may find it hard to speak frankly in the poet's presence about words, images, and ideas charged with personal expression. Yet in doing so, you help the writer see how the poem affects another person, and how it might evolve in a future draft.Read more ...
These are similar but not identical concepts. Rhythm refers to the overall tempo, or pace, at which the poem unfolds, while meter refers to the measured beat established by patterns of stressed and unstressed syllables. Poets who write free verse, generally de-emphasize or ignore meter and focus instead on refining and tuning their natural speech rhythms to suit the poem's tone and content. Or as Ezra Pound put it, they "compose in the sequence of the musical phrase, not in the sequence of the metronome."Read more ...